A Brief History of Masjid An-Nur:
The Nation of Islam (Black Muslims)started in Detroit in 1930, spread throughout the cities of America for many years under the leadership of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. It was not until the mid-to-late 1950’s; however, that a sizable group of members formed in North Minneapolis and a “Temple” was established for the Nation of Islam.
In 1975, The Hon. Elijah Muhammad,after leading the group for over forty years, passed away. For many years he had prepared his son, Wallace, to accept leadership of the Nation. On Feb. 26, 1975, Imam W. Deen Mohammed was nominated and unanimously chosen to be the new leader. Immediately after Imam W. Deen Mohammed entered into the leadership of the NOI, he began to make dramatic changes in the doctrines and structure of the group. He insisted that the group
dismiss many of its teachings and embrace the original orthodox religion of Al-Islam as it was established by Muhammad, the Prophet on the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century CE. In doing so, he threw off the name “Nation of Islam” and connected with the majority Muslims throughout the world.
In Minneapolis, the local “Temple” was enthusiastic about the growth. They changed the name of the meeting place from Temple or Mosque to the proper Arabic name for a place of Muslim worship – Masjid.
Masjid An-Nur, located in North Minneapolis, is in the association of the Muslim American Society under the leadership of Imam W. Deen Mohammed.
Muslims who attend Masjid An-Nur are of many racial and ethnic groups.