In the name of God, the Most Gracious the Most Merciful
The Minnesota Muslim Leadership Coalition is outraged beyond words at the ruthless killing of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man. We are sickened by the systemic harm and racist oppression of Black and brown bodies inflicted by police officers acting in the name of preserving public safety.
Our faith teaches us; “اعيمج سانلا ايحا امناكف اهايحا نمو ، اعيمج سانلا لتق امناكف ضرلاا ف داسف وا سفن يغب اسفن لتق نم” “Whoever kills a person unjustly, it is as though he has killed all of the mankind. And whoever saves a life, it would be as though he saved the life of all humans “ (5:32)
We oppose any systems that perpetuate injustice and are openly calling for the reform and re-building of more just systems of law enforcement.
Against the backdrop of COVID-19, which is disproportionately infecting and killing Black people in the U.S., this senseless murder comes as yet another harrowing reminder of the pervasive nature of white privilege in America. Whether violence is visible to the naked eye or deeply embedded in the foundation of our health care system or economy, it is violence just the same.
Police brutality is now a leading cause of death for young Black men in the U.S. Minneapolis is home to one of the widest racial disparities in the nation — Black people are killed by the police at a rate 13 times higher than white people. The loss of George Floyd’s life is a fresh cut in a long series of unhealed wounds inflicted by law enforcement on Black communities. We must ask ourselves: How many more times must this happen? When will accountability result in systemic change?
At some point, we must name that the current system is not serving its stated goals, and in fact, perpetuates the very lens of white dominance that keeps communities from being safe.
In this moment, we need to take a deep look at the systems built around us and act urgently to change them. Specifically, we are calling for:
- The immediate arrest of the four officers involved in this case, and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. 2. Changes in the way that law enforcement apprehends alleged “suspects” and changing of the pattern of treating
Black men immediately like suspects in the first place. 3. Creating deeper, structural changes through the lens of restorative justice (instead of punitive justice) and community-based models of policing, in an effort to address deeper systemic issues that led to this and similar killings. 4. We demand that MPD ends the “police exchange” program with the state of Israel. 5. Require all MPD officers to undergo intensive and comprehensive racism and bias training.
As our nation continues to be torn apart by racism, we cannot sit as idle passengers and on-lookers. We must step into our power and drive intentional efforts at deep systems change. We must demand better for the sake of our shared humanity and for the sake of justice.
1.Abubakar As-Saddique Islamic Center
2. Al-Amal School
3. American Muslims for Palestine – Minnesota
4. Blaine Community Center – MAS MN
5. Brooklyn Park Islamic Center
6. Community Interfaith Dialogue on Islam (CIDI)
7. Council on American Islamic Relations – Minnesota
8. Create Good, LLC
9. Dara Alfarooq Islamic Center
10. Development Council of Pakistani Americans
11. Dr. Shabaz Charity Group
12. Eastern Twin Cities Islamic Center
13. ICCC – Masjid Al Huda
14. ICCC Masjid Al Tawba
15. Imagine Deliver
16. Imam Hussain Islamic Center
17. Indian American Muslim Council
18. Islamic Association of North America
19. Islamic Civic Society of America/Dar Al-Hijrah Mosque
20. Islamic Community Center of Minnesota/Masjid Al-Iman
21. Islamic Resource Group
22. Masjed Abubakar Al-Sadiq, Rochester, MN
23. Masjid Al-Ansar Islamic Community Center
24. Masjid AnNur 25. Masjid at-Taqwa – MAS MN
26. Minnesota Deaf Muslims Coalition
27. Muslim American Society of Minnesota
28. Muslim Coalition of ISAIAH/ Dar Al Farooq
29. Muslim Youth Leadership Awards
30. Northwest Islamic Community Center
31. Nousury Micro Loans
32. Pearls Of Hope Community Center
33. Rahma Heart Care
34. Reviving the Islamic Sisterhood for Empowerment
35. Sakan Community Resource
36. Sisters Need a Place
37. South Metro Islamic Center – MAS MN
38. Zakat, Aid & Charity Assisting Humanity (ZACAH)
Leave a Reply